Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Nice work if you can get it

Had a nice time on Labor Day. Always nice to have a good excuse to sleep late, and I had two: I'd been up late finishing the last coat of paint on my kitchen cabinets (now I just have to get the excess off the places where paint doesn't belong, and wait until I can close doors without fear of removing paint when I open them again), AND a holiday.

After a longer-than-it-should-have-taken-but-what-do-you-expect-it's-WalMart ordeal exchanging a shelf unit due to a piece that was clearly put in the box damaged, I decided to check out the home version of the "Sowing Circle." This is a weekly writers-and-rockers event that usually happens at a club called Fuel in downtown Nashville. Since the club was closed for the holiday, hosts Billy Falcon ("Power Windows," Bon Jovi) and his lovely and charming daughter Rose (you can see her video "Up, Up, Up" if you rent "Inspector Gadget 2") decided to have it at their big new house in the Harpeth Valley area south of Nashville. In case you didn't know, your suspicions are correct as to where Tom T. Hall got the title for his song about the widow and the P.T.A.--after a slight adjustment.

The Sowing Circle was excellent! The "stage" area was set up on one end of the rear patio, opposite the pool, with room to dance in between. I didn't swim or dance, but it's always nice to know the opportunity is there even if you have no intention to join in. The music was provided by Billy, Rose, and various other artist/writers, backed by a full band. It included mostly originals (duh) and a few covers (Lionel Richie's "Stuck On You" works better as a blues/soul song than the smooth pop radio version would indicate). The assumption was that the neighbors wouldn't mind, and if the police showed up they'd know they were wrong.

The weather was perfect, the atmosphere was relaxed, and the only shortcoming for me (other than not performing myself) was the usual "Gee, sure would be nice to have a significant other of the female variety to share this" (those aren't the actual words I use, obviously; I never say "gee" to myself). But, much to be thankful for, nevertheless. So I choose to be thankful.

So let's hear it for the workers of the world who fought (literally and figuratively) for better working conditions for all of us. Never mind for now the abuses and excesses that unions have also brought here and there...I like to think these are outweighed by the improvements in the quality of life we enjoy. Remember that next time you complain about how short your coffee break is. I'll be taking a nap.

No comments: