Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Funny Girl (move over, Barbra)

Photo by Brent Humphreys/Redux,
for The New York Times


I just got around to reading this article in the New York Times Magazine, and I'm impressed all over again with comic Anita Renfroe. The reporter did a great job (with one possible exception, noted below) and Anita really shines in the interview. I'm glad to call her a friend (i.e. someone I knew before she was so famous and who still responds to pretty much all of my e-mails), and equally glad to call her my hero (one of 'em, anyway).

You may know her as the woman in the YouTube video doing the song ("Momsense") based on everything your mother told you and set to the tune of "The William Tell Overture." Which landed her a spot on Good Morning America, and maybe a regular network gig or two. I prefer to remember her as the wise and discerning woman who liked my song when I entered a songwriting contest at the Babbie Mason Music Conference about 10 years ago. You tend to stick with folks like that.

That said, I was a little shocked when I read this part of the article:
"She is round and soft, loves butter, carbs and sugar and worries routinely about her weight." Yep, she worries...nearly any woman would, especially when otherwise sharp reporters describe her as "round and soft." I checked--this was not Anita's line (apparently the reporter was caught up in the spirit of Anita's self-deprecating humor; it happens). For the record, Anita is not round--not even in cross-section. Oval or elliptical, maybe. But as you can see, she's a beauty, and no Lulu Roman by a long shot. Anyway, she's married already, so what difference does it make? (Huh? What? Did I say something wrong? Please. I can make jokes too, y'know. Where're you going, ladies?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Guess Who? Just sister see'in how yer doin ! At all this here writ'in ya been doin you must be a purty good typer. I did'nt git ta reed much cause I dont have much time. Ya need ta git all yer friends together and float tha Hiwassee river. And then I might git ya a gig' at least for one night. I've sang there twice. Anew place right on tha river. I work at Webbs float service Friends and family git 1/2 price. Everybody's got a life. It's tha way ya live it that counts. Keep up the good work!

I Love Ya!
Your sister Debi